Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 2


Day 2- Today Rocco and I got up early and went to the beach for a training walk. It was a beautiful So Cal day- it was in the 90's today.  We worked on the heel command.  I worked with him to reinforce his sit and stay- he knows them but he is one stubborn little boy. So we did them over and over until it was reflex with him. The hard part was not getting distracted by dogs and the people walking by. But he did great. We came back home and I think he was almost glad to go back into the kennel!  He took a long nap- did  I mention that he sleeps on his back and snores a sweet little snore? Later Dino and I went grocery shopping and when we came home we heard him barking. I am really hoping he didn't bark the entire time we were gone. It's a good thing I know the president of the HOA! We knew this might happen so we were mentally prepared. Our first step is the pheromone plug in, spray and collar.  We will see how it goes tomorrow. I have the citronella spray collar but that will be step two if it continues. I've also heard about a something called Stay Calm you get at the health food store.  Then there is always the puppy Prozac but since we don't have a new vet yet that would be last resort. And besides, I don't really want to drug him unless I have to.  We are looking into getting a trainer.  We have so many questions- here are just a few-
When we walk him how much do we let him sniff/mark and how much do we make him heel?
How long until we can let him out of the kennel to "hang out"? I know it's too early now but I'm just wondering.  We are so ready to have him lounging on the couch with us!
Should we correct him when he whines when he's in the kennel? He does it occasionally when we  leave the room for too long.  So are we rewarding him by coming back in the room and comforting him? I'm assuming the answer is yes to that one. No bad dogs, just bad parents! GUILTY :)
I think that's what we need a trainer for- to correct our behavior, not his!
So I will end the blog with some good news- he slept all night last night- not a peep out of him. And the other good news it that he wasn't grouchy once today. No growling at all.  Maybe we are moving up the alpha chain! One step at a time.
Wish us luck with the separation anxiety. More news later... hey, maybe the calm spray will mellow ME out at little. Dino can always wish!

2 comments:

  1. When I walk Harley, I make him heel until we get to his "spot" and then give him release command like "ok" to let him know that he can now sniff and mark. Then I'll heel him again for a while - then give him the release command. It keeps him from pulling me into the bushes!

    ReplyDelete