Sunday, March 11, 2012

Rocco's Contemplations...


I didn't post yesterday but we were so busy enjoying our wonderful day! Rocco and I went for our long walk at the beach in the morning, he rested all day and last night he spent hanging out with Dino and I watching a movie. We still kept him off the couch (rule- we have to "invite him up" to sit on OUR couch) and he still has to be on the leash. He's also still obsessed with the kitties. He doesn't jump at them anymore- he just likes to stare at them. But we had a nice night- no growl or bossy issues. He seemed really happy. 
Today we went for a long beach walk and our training went well. He took a break to sit on the bench and people watch (see picture). The other one is where he posed for me- isn't he handsome? He is really getting good at walking on the leash.And his sit/stay is improving.  All is not perfect though- on the way home today he did his little trick-he tried to hump me when we were in the car today. I pushed him off and told him NO. That was the first time-hopefully the last. I guess we have more work to do until he thinks I'm more of an alpha. But two steps forward, one step back. And it's only been a week.  
Dino's rehearsing this afternoon but hopefully Rocco can come out tonight and spend some time with us. He is still on his chill pill but I only gave him 1/2 dose this weekend since we were home most of the time. It seems like it just calms him but he's still alert and active. But he doesn't get into that panic mode when we leave. Hopefully we can ween him off it in a few weeks.
This weekend showed us that Rocco is going to be a great dog for us. He is not perfect and may need a little help but we will get him there.  Dino says he is like us- a work in progress. How could we resist that cute face?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sherra,
    I'm so happy he is doing so good. It sounds like he is still fighting to keep his throne, I will tell you something every time he sits for you or listens to your commands you are dethroning him.
    The hardest thing between Rocco and I was getting to sit for me on command. When he finally gave in things just started to fall in place. We still miss him a whole lot. I hope we can see him some time not now. I don't think it would be a good time now.

    ReplyDelete