Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Prince Charming aka Rocco


Did I mention that Rocco is eating the paint off part of his kennel? And that he bent the door? Poor guy. And this morning he started throwing himself into the kennel and crying before I even left the house.
When I got to work I called around and found  a new vet (our old one is in Hermosa Beach and it's just too far away). I scheduled an appt. to talk to them about getting him an RX for puppy Prozac. So after work Rocco and I went and met the vet.  Little man was oh so charming and everyone in the waiting room was oohing and aawing at how cute he was.  The vet tech gave him tons of treats that he loved and a chew treat that he really loved. They even sent a free bag home with us. They weighed him (36 lbs), took his temperature, looked in his ears and listened to his heartbeat- he didn't even flinch. They even took his blood and said he didn't make a noise. The vet was really nice and we discussed the options. I told her my main concern was for the next week or so until he gets used to us.  I just am concerned for his safety and health. She said Prozac takes up to 30 days to take effect so it won't work for us. She suggested a mild tranquilizer to try for a week. I  really hope it will work- at least until he settles down a little. I'll try a low dose tomorrow and see if it works. And I'll take him for an extra long walk tomorrow morning. We're up to 40 minutes now. The vet suggested we get a trainer to work with us. So I think it's pretty much unanimous... we need a trainer.
Then the funniest thing happened- I put him in the car on the passenger side and went to get in the drivers side. He stepped in my seat and when I went to sit down he didn't budge. I told him to scoot over and he just stood there and growled a little. Like he was just being a stubborn little brat. So I waited until he stopped and then he scooted over.  What a weirdo!
Did I mention that I looked online and I think I did the wrong thing last night? THAT is why we need a trainer. It says when they are aggressive you should redirect their attention and put them in the kennel. I think that's what his foster mom did. It also said it was too soon to let him on the couch and way too soon to let him on the bed. What is it Ceasar Milan says-“rehabilitate dogs; train people. We need to be trained Ceasar- come and get us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment